Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Round Two

So after running to work a couple of months ago I realized three things: one, I am not a runner; two, three miles might as well be twenty; and three, man invented the wheel for a reason.

A couple of weeks ago I got a free bike from a co-worker. Well, we all know nothing is free; I had to put some money into it to get it rideable but it was still cheaper than a new bike. After I had it all together, and got a helmet and lights I was ready. The day had arived and disaster struck, I woke up to the sound of roaring rain. I did plan on riding in the rain with my rear fender and a rain coat, but I was expecting Seattle rain not Pheonix rain. Besides, I was all ready unsure of the ride, I didn't need to fight the rain. The next day was the day to shoot for. I awoke to a dry morning, darn that means I have to go through with it. So my travel begins again with the hill, the dreaded hill that claims cars in the winter and skateboarders in the summer. I was bound and determined to make it up the hill without walking. Good thing I had an 18speed, cuz I made it. My legs were all ready on fire and I was winded. I had only a short break before another hill that was much longer but not as steep. I thought about the missionary days and how it seemed much easier, then I realized the there were no hills in the Arizonan desert. I would gladly take +100 degrees over hills. Luckily at the end of my second hill I hit a red light, the only red light the whole trip (someone was watching out for me). I had time to rest. I realized how much more energy it took to stop and restart especially downhill. The rest of the ride was mostly down hill, a fact I would dreadfully learn on the way back home. When I made it to work my shirt was wet from sweat and my legs had that jello wraped in barbed wire feeling, I had to walk around for a few minutes to recover. Durring which I was paged into the parts department because they purchased doughnuts, I never have been repulsed by a raspberry filled powdered ring of goodness before, and when I turned them down everyone's mouths dropped to the floor. One of the guys in parts called the receptionist and announced to her the news, after about 5 minutes everyone in the dealership knew that Earl Bennett had refused a doughnut, I think they almost closed the dealership down just in case the world was truly gonna end. So here it is my first 3 mile trip in 5.5 minutes on video, brought to you by the EARL CAM. (camera affixed to the handle bars with packaging tape).


Can I just say what a sight it was to see Earl on this bicycle! He rides up in his bright red helmet, dripped in sweat, twigs stuck in parts of his make-shift bicycle and please, please take note of the chip clips around the ankle of his pants! I'm just sorry that I missed seeing our nice Kodak camera taped to the handlebars. -Lisa


8 comments:

JoAnn said...

Ohhhh Man! I haven't laughed so hard since your last blog about running to work. Totally hilarious!

In fact, I'm still laughing and I haven't watched the video yet!

Aaahhh, my gut hurts from laughing so hard!

Marcie said...

That is so hilarious! You had both Ryan and I laughing pretty hard. We'd like to see more "Earl cam" in the future! It was fun to see Lynnwood again.

JoAnn said...

Ok, now I've watched the movie. And, now I can say: I'm so proud of you!

That looked like a hard ride and you went out there and did it anyway. Anyone that knows the hill just getting out of your apartment knows that was a major feat in itself.

I don't know what song that was you set the movie to (I'm not that hip), but it seemed perfect! It was like watching an old 80's flick. Thanks for sharing, that was GREAT!

Anonymous said...

refusing a doughnut! really?! is that why you had to get video evidence? j/k. riding on that highway? crazy. janelle is going to get me on a bike i fear!

Alanna said...

Congratulations Earl! I can't believe you made it up the hill...at least take the longer, less steep route. And I actually watched the whole movie before I found out there was sound!

Megan said...

I can't believe you didn't walk your bike up the hill and then begin your ride!! So the question now is: Are you going to ride again and for how long into the rainy season?

tolm2535 said...

This was funny! I think you have missed your calling in life, you need to go into making films, we never stopped laughing. We would pay to watch you do the things we only wish we could do! ENCORE!

tolm2535 said...

Wow! My legs are burning just watching. This is great stuff - very funny. I am waiting for the Earl cam when you work your way up to getting to work by corvette stingray.

-Tom

Related Posts with Thumbnails