Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Next Pint Is On Me

Several years ago, when I was in high school, I tried to donate blood. The outcome of that effort was unpleasant and I was told that if they gave someone my blood it could kill them. I was traumatized. I was 17 and a little overly dramatic. I walked away with my stuffy nose, a piddly little sticker that said, "I tried" and a story that I have been telling for years. A few weeks ago at church a biannual blood drive was announced. I leaned over to the lady next to me to relate the traumatic story of my youth. She sympathized. I again felt validated in my noble effort as a young girl.

That night Earl and I were watching Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. A show that normally brings me to tears was gut-wrenching this night. The young girl of the family depends on blood transfusions every two-three weeks in order to live. I was brought to tears and realized that it was time to let go of my story, suck it up, and try again.

I signed up for the blood drive and forgot about it until the day before when I was called and reminded. I thought, "Wow, I'm actually going to do this." When I got there I kept waiting for them to tell me that my iron level was to low or something strange like I lived too close to Canada (there were some really intenese questions about going to Mexico or being with anyone from Africa), but I actually passed all the screening. I was finally able tonight to give blood for the first time. I am grateful for the opportunity that I had to help others and so thankful that I now have a better story to tell.

5 comments:

Marcie said...

Way to go Lisa!! I think giving blood is kind of scary... I always get light-headed and queasy. Good for you for being so brave!

SuburbiaMom said...

Cute title for this posting, Lisa. Glad you were able to help someone else, it feels good, huh?

Alanna said...

Congratulations Lisa...I'm so proud! And yeah, cute title!

Megan said...

You are a braver woman than I!! I'm glad you had a much better experience this time!

allie said...

you are hysterical! your blog is so funny and cute. i'm jealous.

Related Posts with Thumbnails