So, I think I mentioned this, but some of the children in the neighborhood ave taken a liking to my girls. Even though they are eight and my girls aren't. They come over nearly every day and it's taken some getting use to on my part. This is all very new to me. It wasn't long before they started asking about sleepovers. SLEEP OVER?! My girls are just six and four. I thought I had a few more years before all this started.
Well, somehow today we agreed to let not just one, but two children spend the night at our house! Crazy, right? Want to know what else is crazy? I don't even know these girls' parents and they don't even care. I insisted that the girls get me their mom's phone numbers and after a few hours and a dozen failed attempts I was able to met one of the mom's out on the street and the other I finally reached via phone.
Let's discuss: I began the walk over to the one girl's house and was met by her stepmom and me maw (I live in the South now, people, that means grandmother). They said it was ok that the girl sleep over and informed me that she suffers from ADHD and that it can get pretty bad at nighttime. I asked her to please explain what this meant for me and she said the girl is prone to uncontrollable tantrums. hmmm...I was told to send her home if it got bad. When I got a hold of the other girl's mom on the phone she too seemed to have no problem with the fact that she doesn't know me and hasn't seen the inside of my house. I also asked the mom if the girl could go to church with us in the morning--which is three hours long--and she said, "um, sure."
In all the evening went better than I thought it would. I grew to really like the one girl--I actually wouldn't mind her spending the night and going to church with us again. BUT the girl with the ADHD--She was very polite but oh my! When we made individual pizzas she constantly asked if they were done. Five minutes into palydough she asked what else there was to do. She took over my laptop to watch webisodes of iCarly (I'm totally out of the loop, apparently this is a show on Nickelodeon), when Earl put the show on the TV so everyone could watch it, she went into the bedroom. She asked Earl to hook up the playstation so she could play a racing game and after it took him 15 minutes to get it all together she played for three minutes and then moved on to something else. To think if she had been able to go to church with us--I surely couldn't have kept her entertained for three hours. The whole night went this way and I was worn out by the end of it. I'm a little worried at what we've gotten ourselves into BUT the girls had a blast. And sometimes that's what it's all about, right?











5 comments:
Sleepovers? Woah! Can't believe that the parents are so lax about not having really met you and letting their kids stay the night. Guess you know that YOUR kids won't ever be going over to stay at their houses!
That is neat that you have so many kids to play with around your neighborhood, and that they are girls. It looks as though you all had fun.
It sounds like it was a fun night for the girls. I hope I don't have to worry about sleepovers next year when my boys are 6 and 4... don't know if I'm ready for that yet. Better at your own house than someone else's though, right?
Go Super Mom! Sounds fun! That's crazy that those girls' moms haven't met you or been in your house...they're lucky you're a good gamble!
Wow, Lisa! You are very brave. I wouldn't have done it. I'm glad you all survived and that the girls all had fun.
That's sad & scary about the friends' parents not worrying about any details. Of course you hardly give off a 'scary secret axe-murderer' vibe, but that doesn't mean you couldn't be hiding it really well! =)
Post a Comment