Monday, August 31, 2009

A Rite of Passage

Emily got a bicycle for her birthday and since Annabelle's has suffered some trauma since moving here we decided to fix it so they would be able to play together. We've replaced both tubes and both tires. We've spent as much as the bike cost new, but we decided we were teaching a principle by fixing her old one instead of getting a new one when it wasn't a holiday or special occasion. On Saturday when Earl was replacing the tubes, he asked Annabelle if she wanted to take her training wheels off and she said, "no, not yet". On Monday, Annabelle ran in the house to ask me if she could borrow the neighbor's "two wheeler". It turns out that in the course of about 30 minutes, the little girl down the street had taught Annabelle how to ride without training wheels. I told her that she could borrow the bike, but that I NEEDED TO SEE THIS! It was the cutest thing. Annabelle would get on the bike and her friend Ellecia would hold onto the back of the seat, give her a little push and then let go. (The same things Earl would have done if she had let him teach her two days ago). Annabelle would take off--and she was good at it! It appears she has forgotten how to use her brakes on two wheels because whenever she wants to stop she will drive off into the little ditch on the side of the road. I'm so proud of her and because I remember a neighbor girl teaching me to tie my shoes, I think it's a great memory she will have of her friend teaching her how to ride.

8 comments:

Jeanine said...

Isn't that great!? Hooray for friends! I remember when Natalie (our oldest) taught herself how to ride too (sniff). We took off her training wheels and away she went. :)

Ashley said...

I love that photo! Such a cute girl!

Please stop by my blog and enter some fun giveaways. I've got a really great one that's ending today for a kid's outfit valued at $113! I really need to get some more entries for it, so I'd really appreciate your help! And you have a good chance of winning too!!! :)

tolm2535 said...

Way to go Annabelle! It looks as though you are all enjoying being in a neighborhood--and playing with friends outside. Hope you are all doing well.

Alanna said...

Hooray! You were telling me this when I cut you off last week! Glad to hear the whole story. We got the boys bikes at a garage sale two weeks ago and Jarom's can ride...with help starting and stopping and Travis has almost got it too! Isn't it great not to live in an apartment with scary people around and a major hills and slopes everywhere? I'm so glad for us moving up...though I wish you weren't so far away :(

Marcie said...

Wow, that's pretty impressive that she learned that without her dad's help. How fun that she and Emily can ride together. My boys LOVE riding bikes... they could do it all day if I let them!

The Halls said...

YEAH Annabelle! I miss you and I am so proud of you for being so big. I hope you have soooooo much fun on your bike!! Just think now you can teach Emmy how to ride on 2wheels! Love you!

JoAnn said...

Good job Annabelle, how exciting!

Megan said...

Congratulations, Annabelle! You look like you're doing great on 2 wheels and a quiet street. =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails