Sunday, August 2, 2009

Country Livin'

We had to make some adjustments to our new life in Tennessee. It's easy to say that living in this cute little house on almost an acre in southern heat is different from our third-floor Seattle apartment. Here are some of the changes we've had--in just a month.

The Sun--lots and lots of sun--and Heat




Bugs-lots and lots of bugs
On our very first night here we were all attacked by the mosquitoes. It's as though they could sense that there was something sweet and different in our Northwest blood. Annabelle and Emily have gotten it the worse. It looks like they have chicken pox most of the time.


We have also come across a very interesting insect called a Red Velvet Ant. What an interesting frightening little six-legged creature. She seems to have taken up permanent residence in our backyard. She is a female wasp who doesn't fly and has a very powerful and painful sting. OUCH! And, I'm not exaggerating when I say that there are HUNDREDS of bees in our backyard. Annabelle and Emily were both stung within the first 10 days of being here. So sad. The girls spend a good majority of the day outside collecting bugs and more bugs. We've even caught Emily letting a fire ant crawl all over her. Luckily, I was outside with the girls the day we found the Red Velvet Ant, or I'm sure she would have picked that up too!
The only good bug thus far: LIGHTNING BUGS! Yay! for the girls growing up with these wonderful little glowing bugs.

Critters--Ours and Others
Much to our surprise, our house already had occupants when we moved in. We have a five lined skink who lives under our deck. He's a cute little blue-tailed lizard that we get to see about once a week. We have also found a toad in our backyard and this is the little family that lives on the front porch:
This is the mom and dad. The babies are tucked safely inside. It so much fun watching them grow.

We also have the occasional visitor. Apparently, all animals are welcome here!

In all, we are LOVING our house. We are still undecided about our ward. We have NO friends but think it's GREAT to live close to family.

7 comments:

MICHELLE said...

County Livin' suits the girls, they are footloose and fancy free! I love being just 3 hours away and can't wait for another visit. I am in love with those dolls and know I am a very lucky aunt (an aunt who had to wait patiently 3 years for you to get back), but now your here! Thank ya Jesus! Amen!

Marcie said...

Ouch! Those sunburns look painful. But how fun for the girls to be able to have a big yard and so much room to play. Hope you guys are enjoying your new house!

SuburbiaMom said...

Ouch!!!! Your girls are learning what things in nature to avoid--that's good! Nothing like some wilderness survival tactics. I miss fire flies--enjoy!! I bet you'll make some new friends in the ward soon!!

JoAnn said...

Wow, that looks like one creepy bug (Red Velvet Ant).

Alanna said...

Oh, that's just awesome that the girls can experience the great outdoors (even with all it's dangers) instead of living in the urban safety of cement.

Megan said...

Looking at that sunburn makes my shoulders hurt!! It looks from the school pics like they healed nicely, though. =) I'm glad the bugs & sunburns haven't scared the girls into staying inside. Hope you make some great ward friends soon!!

Ashley said...

Yes, I saw more bugs when I was in Tennessee than I ever saw in my whole life! HUGE ones too!
Those sunburns look so sad! But I'm glad you're experiencing lots of new things, for good and bad. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails