Tuesday, December 1, 2009

'Tis the Season

24 days of Christmas Joy

Some of you have seen my advent calendar before. I made it last year for an Enrichment Class demo and didn't finish it in time to use it. It is made out of industrial strength paper towel rolls. Even if you didn't visit my house in December, it was sure to catch your eye as it hung by my front door until June! haha.

I am happy to report that I actually got all my activities planned and we are able to start the fun today! YAY! I painstakingly came up with 24 different activities for us to do and tucked them into little tissue paper pieces and stuffed them in the sides. Unfortunately I didn't plan ahead enough to have all white tissue paper. boo.


It really bothers me that I have SO many colors. I tried to coordinate, but still. ANYWAY, please let me know any of your family's holiday traditions, 'cause I may need to alter mine for next year.


merry christmas.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Your advent looks great even with assorted colors! =)

Some of our favorite holiday activities include baking {esp cookies}, making candy, decorating gingerbread/graham cracker houses, driving to see the Christmas lights, making easy ornaments {like punching designs into frozen juice lids}, reading Christmas picture books, and putting together jigsaw puzzles.

You'll have to keep us updated on how your activities turn out! =)

The Halls said...

I am still jealous that I didn't get to make one of these!!! I think maybe you should use poly-fill in the end instead of tissue paper next year, I think that would be cute!

Unknown said...

what a great idea, you're so smart!!
;P

tolm2535 said...

That is very cute- I love it--do you have the pattern or directions to make it? I am still in the rut of going and getting chocolate advent calendars. A tradition in Toms family is to make a carmel popcorn "gingerbread" house! I have only participated once, and it was ok---but this is the first year we are going to do it in our family. I will have to post!

Marcie said...

I love your advent calendar... very very cute! I don't think the tissue paper looks bad at all. You came up with 24 Christmas activities? Wow, that must have been hard. I'm sure your girls are loving it though!! What a fun family tradition.

Alanna said...

I love your advent calendar. I'm glad you're using it this year! Ashley requested ideas on her blog too, so I'm copy/pasting my comment from her.

string popcorn
make snowflakes and hang them on your ceiling
decorate the house/trim the tree
make gingerbread houses
sing around the piano or at a nursing home or go caroling
read a Christmas story
watch a Christmas movie
go tobogganing
go skating
make treats one day, deliver another
visit Santa
open surprise Christmas package (something to help you celebrate the season) wrapped in multi-layers with a fork
First Presidency devotional
ward Christmas party
Special Family FHE about Christmas
Crazy dinner
And violin Christmas recitals on the calendar?

Okay, that's all that's immediately coming to mind that we put on ours. Good luck!

And since then I've thought of taking kids shopping for presents for them to give--dollar store is great if you've a got a good one around.

Oh, and a Crazy Dinner is a dinner where everyone is given a menu and an ordering sheet. There's like 16 things on the menu, but you make up different Christmas themed names--like frosty's nose for carrots. And fork, knife and spoon are included on the menu. Then there's 4 courses and you get 4 things in each course. It's very fun to see the combinations that come out. You could just do 3 courses with 12, but it's not too hard if you do water and milk and a napkin, etc. to get up to 16.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation.

Related Posts with Thumbnails